Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Work in Progress ...

Sometime around Christmas I came across a clearance bin with these sets of two coordinating fleece throws for $3! At the time I didn't have an exact project in mind for them but you can't beat that deal so I snatched up a bunch of them. They aren't anything super fancy or high quality but I like the colors and they are pretty soft and snuggly.

I have been planning on a big quilt for my bed but hadn't decided on colors or a pattern yet. So after a while of looking at these throws taking up space I decided how I would put some of them to use! Went out and grabbed a bunch of fabric in coordinating colors and got to work cutting and making some half square triangles.

I then had this lovely stack to work through trimming and making sure they were all squared up! Whew! Was definitely glad when that part was over.

As of now I have all my blocks put together and I sewed them together in 4 rows of 5. Now I'm not so sure where to go from here! The intended bed for this quilt is queen size so it needs some more size. I still have lots of purple and some gray, but mostly out of all the teal colors. I keep thinking that I might want to add one more row but I just really don't want to go buy more fabric. I thought about making a border like the one in the pic below ... but not sure I'm loving it.

I neglected to mention before that the part those fleece throws would play in all this is for the backing. That is another thing that has me nervous. I have not used fleece for backing before. Are there any problems I'm going to run across or things to look out for when I start machine quilting it? Can I still use batting and should I leave that out? Am I even going to be able to quilt something of this size on my little machine?? Yikes! I'm getting more nervous just thinking about it!

A Few Finishes

Here are some of the little projects that I've finished recently.
Used up some scraps and made a couple pot holders that I am very pleased with. I even made my own binding for them (a first for me)!
Then I came across this tutorial at Fly Through Our Window for a dish drying mat. It works perfectly for letting bottles dry! Much nicer than throwing down a plain dish towel (sometimes one that's ugly and bleach-stained). My little kitchen is looking cuter and cuter!
I also made a quilted purse. It didn't come out perfect, but it's ok. I didn't have a pattern or tutorial to go by. Just a picture in my head of some similar bags I have seen and liked. So it's a bit crooked in places and my measurments were off when I boxed the corners which made the bottom much smaller than the top. Otherwise not too bad though.

I found a wonderful tutuorial for this pincushion/sewing organizer.
The directions were very well written and easy to follow.

Check out some more at Quiltstory's Fabric Tuesday to see what other much craftier ladies have been working on!




Thursday, January 6, 2011

Pretty In Pink



Remember that fabric I showed a few posts back?? Well, here's how I put it to use. A cute little matching set for my youngest niece. It was my first try at the twirly skirt. Of course I browsed through several tutorials to learn how to make them. However, I kinda had it in my head just how I wanted it to look and I just wasn't finding it. Finally, I came across this one and it was perfect. Her instructions were wonderful and made it easy for someone like me who is still pretty new to all this. I think it turned out pretty well! I also got to make the cute little bag and play with some decorative stitches. Now the shirt is a whole different story. The applique was also a first for me (other than pictures I've stitched on before that were perfect squares) and one that did not go so well. The stitches are a disaster! Definitely something to practice with first. She will not be receiving the shirt to go with her set until I decide to try it again after some practice and hopefully have a better outcome.